Transfer of Credits
At ABTU, every effort is made to ensure students receive the maximum amount of applicable transfer credits, and also that top-quality programs and courses are presented to our students. The University seeks to achieve academic excellence and ensure the substantial content of each ABTU course. When attempting to transfer ABTU credits to another college, the student must understand the acceptance of credits is dependent on the policy of the petitioned college. ABTU does not guarantee transfer of credits to other institutions. ABTU is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission and courses and programs are approved by the Missouri Department of Higher Education.
Transfer Credit Guidelines
The courses on the student’s transcript will be compared to courses within the student’s desired program at ABTU. If it is determined the courses have similar descriptions, content or objectives, or aligns with the objectives of the student’s program at ABTU, credit will be given for the course(s). The information recorded on the transfer credit evaluation, including the transfer of credits and the transfer cumulative grade point average (CGPA), becomes part of the student’s permanent record at ABTU. Tuition for the student’s program of study will be reduced by the cost of the course(s) for which the credit has been accepted. Credits must meet the following requirements to be transferable:
- For credits to be transferable, they must be earned from an appropriately accredited college, university, or training institution which has received A.C.E (American Council on education) recommendation for college credit.
- ABTU typically accepts only grades of “C” or higher for transfer credit, however students will be allowed to transfer in up to 2 “D’s” for undergraduate programs.
- ABTU Graduate level programs typically accept only grades of “B “or higher for transfer credit, however graduate level students will be allowed to transfer in 1 “C” for graduate level programs.
- Due to advances in technology and changes in laws, select I.T. and Health Information Technology credits older than 3 years may not be transferrable.
*All credits are subject to review by the Chief Academic Officer and may be approved or denied at his or her discretion.
The student is responsible for requesting official transcripts from his or her previous college(s). Only official transcripts will be evaluated for possible transfer credits.
The ABTU official transcript merely lists the total number of transfer credits awarded. Transfer grades are not included in the ABTU CGPA.
Transfer Credit process
- Student submits the required Transfer Credits Request Form
- Student sends official transcripts to the address below:
Attn: Transcript Services
American Business & Technology University
1018 St. Maarten’s Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64506
*If the student’s prior college or university provides digital copies of official transcripts, students will need to send those transcripts to the ABTU Registrar by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transcripts are evaluated by the Chief Academic Officer
- The student is emailed a Transfer Credit Evaluation Form indicating the credits that were approved for transfer to ABTU.
All credits are subject to review by the Chief Academic Officer and may be approved or denied at his or her discretion.
ABTU may request an official copy of the catalog of the college from which the transfer of credits is requested, to complete the transcript review process. This process may take several weeks to complete. Requests should be submitted as early as possible during the first module a student attends to ensure a timely response.
If the request for credit is not approved, the Chief Academic Officer will explain to the student why the courses were not accepted for credit. One copy of the evaluation will be sent to the student, and a second copy will be placed in the student’s file.
ABTU limits transfer of credits for undergraduate programs to a maximum of 75 percent of program course requirements, which means a student must complete at least 25 percent of program requirements (courses) at ABTU in order to graduate.
ABTU limits transfer of credits for MBA programs to a maximum of 50 percent of the program course requirements. A student must complete at least 50 percent of his or her MBA program requirements at ABTU in order to graduate.
If some courses do not transfer and the student questions a decision, the student can consult the Registrar. Further appeal can be directed to the Chief Operations Officer.
ABTU is not responsible for the lack of availability of courses offered due to transfer of credits.
************end of policy**************
Revised on 5/11/2018 updated to current policy allowing 2 “d’s” to transfer in. by Ramsey Atieh
revised on 06/12/2013 “replaced Director of Operations and Technology with Chief Operations Officer” TDB
revised on 12/2/2014 removed $50 transfer credit evaluation fee and supporting text. No longer applicable.
revised on 5/12/2015 changed DETC to DEAC. removed phrase “CIS-100 is not transferable”