ABTU provides tutoring to current students seeking additional assistance in completing homework assignments and preparing for weekly/final exams. Tutoring sessions are available at no additional cost to the student
- Students must have entered attendance codes for all lectures relating to the material of which the student is requesting tutoring, to be eligible for tutoring.
- Tutoring sessions are a maximum of 2 hours.
- Students may have an additional session per week; not to exceed 4 total hours per week.
- All tutoring sessions must be focused on a specific homework assignment or exam.
- Tutors provide assistance with questions and concepts.
- Tutors cannot assist with pre-tests, attendance codes, software installation, or provide technical support of any kind.
- Tutors cannot complete assignments with students during the tutoring sessions.
To request a tutoring session,
- Students must complete the Tutor Request Form for EVERY session at the following link: http://abtu.formstack.com/forms/untitled_form5 (Tutor Request Form is also available on the right menu of each course page.) Tutoring will only be available through the request form and by approval from the Registrar’s Office.
- If the tutoring request is in regards to a homework assignment. The student must have attempted to complete the assignment prior to requesting tutoring. The student must attach/upload the attempted homework assignment file.
- If the tutoring request is in regards to a weekly or final exam, the student must attach/upload a Word document detailing the specific concepts or issues they would like covered, during the tutoring session.The request is received by the Student Success Department, who will match the student with the appropriate tutor, and confirm the scheduled session with both tutor and student.
- The scheduled tutoring session will be assigned to 1 of 4 ABTU online tutoring classrooms. Each tutoring session must take place solely in the online tutoring classroom and be recorded. Tutor session recordings may be available to the student upon request to the Office of the Registrar. These recordings will be reviewed by ABTU Administration for compliance purposes.
- Students with any questions or concerns with tutoring, please contact your Success Coordinator.
Tutor Selection and Qualifications
Students and instructors may apply to be selected as a tutor with ABTU. To become a tutor,
Instructor tutors must meet the following criteria:
- The instructor must be approved to teach the requested course, as defined by DEAC C.9 Policy on Degree Programs, Faculty/Instructor Qualifications.
- The instructor must submit the Tutor Application: http://abtu.formstack.com/forms/tutor_application
Student tutors must meet the following criteria
- A student must have passed the course with an A.
- The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- The student must be in good academic and financial standing with ABTU
- The student must submit the Tutor Application: http://abtu.formstack.com/forms/tutor_application
- Tutors help student understand instructions and explain concepts.
- Tutors may not give students answers to assignments or exam questions.
- Tutors are not responsible for grading any assignments or exams.
- Tutors need to title the recording: Student name, Class, Date, Start time, Tutor (Joe Smith, CIS-120, 10/02, 2pm, JDoe).
- Tutoring request forms must be completed for every session held and each session must be recorded for payment to be distributed. Any session in question will be reviewed by the Academic Affairs Committee. Contact the Registrar’s Office for any questions or concerns.
If a student feels they need assistance outside the scope listed in this policy, please refer to the pages below, or contact your Success Coordinator.
- Disability Accommodations Policy: http://abtu.edu/policies/disability-accommodations-dis-pl-0211/
- Tech Support Usage Policy: http://abtu.edu/policies/tech-support-usage-tsu-pl-0814/